The JRC Science Hub (https://ec.europa.eu/jrc/en) is a very large scale news portal built using Drupal. It publishes thousands of news articles and research papers on behalf of the EU Scientific project.
I worked on the design, conception, implementation and on-going maintenance and upgrade of the site.
My role was an on-site development consultant and developer for the project, covering Germany, Italy and the Netherlands to further develop and support the project.
- Alexa rank of 803 (at the time of writing)
- Extremely high load
- Various integrations of content sources
- External development support, 3 internal senior level developers, 15 communications consultants, 25 authors covering all major EU languages, 2 PM’s, 3 trainers, 3 social media experts and a department head. Distributed across 3 countries. The project was directly representing a body of around 2750 staff.
- PHP / Drupal
- Varnish caching
- Jquery & various libraries
Improvements & Next steps
- Build out custom content/editor workflow functionality